30 for 30
Today is the
beginning of the end first day of the last year of my 20’s.
I guess times flies when you are
drinking your life away / doing all the wrong things / doing all the right things in the wrong way / having fun. But in all seriousness, I am not ready for my 20’s to be over. Not even a little bit.
After discussing my issues of my impending major birthday with many of my friends, I was inspired by LC to create a list of 30 things to do before I turn the big THREE-OOOOOHHH in a year. I have lived my 20’s. But I want to make sure I get my money’s worth.
So after much research and aid from said friends, I have come up with this very ambitious list of 30 things to do before I turn 30, or as I have coined, my “30 for 30” list…
(in no particular order)
- Place in the top 3 in a road race
- Visit one new country
- Pay off at least one credit card
- Learn how to swim (and get over my fear of drowning and dying)
- Buy a bicycle
- Get my motorcycle license (and hope my father buys me a bike)
- Shoot a gun
- Drink a expensive glass of Scotch
- Camp with a group of friends
- Volunteer at least 1 hour every week
- Make a lasagna
- Take a self defense class
- Watch a live professional hockey game
- Drive across the country*
- Re-read at least 2 classic novels I read on high school
- Watch a rock concert from the mosh pit
- Tell someone new that I love them
- Take tennis lessons
- Give up meat for at least 30 days (Lent)
- Spend a weekend with no phone, ipad, computer, TV and write/reflect on the nonsense that has been my 20’s. Bourbon and wine are mandatory.
- Meditate for 5 minutes every day
- Learn to speak French
- Re-learn Spanish
- Buy stocks
- Cook 30 new meals
- Say “yes” to every question/request for one week straight. Week will be anonymous to everyone but me. Sorry I’m not sorry.
- Discover a new city with someone (has to be new to the both of us)
- Try a new dish every time I go out to eat
- Finally visit the motherland (Puerto Rico)
The goal here is to try new things and try them with people. And as you can see, there are a good amount of
dumb random things that I haven’t yet got to that would only be acceptable to do while I’m still a 20-something (streaking…seriously can’t believe I’ve never run around aimlessly and naked and outdoors).
Some of the items I have always wanted to do but just never took the time to do them (make a lasagna, take tennis lessons, take a self defense class, etc).
The only item I am terribly concerned with completing is the road trip across the country. So many logistics. So. Many. So in that case, I will reevaluate my life and come up with an audible.
Well that’s it. My life goals for the next year. I’ll probably throw another marathon in there just for good measure. This is going to be quite the undertaking but I think I can do it.
Wish me luck!
(Thank you Johanna for this episode of New Girl…and for saying “29” like Schmidt every. single. time. my age is brought up, which made me laugh instead of cry)